Arthritis affects over 300,000 children in the United States. Children and Arthritis, Inc. seeks to address the difficulties faced by the children suffering from rheumatic diseases, as well as their families. This is an often overlooked population, as arthritis has long been considered a disease of the aging, not of children.
- Arthritis in children is always painful, sometimes crippling, and occasionally fatal.
- Children often suffer from both extreme pain and emotional isolation.
- Parents and siblings struggle understand the pain and to communicate with the child in an understanding way.
- Siblings often feel forgotten and act out.
- The divorce rate hovers at 75% for families dealing with a chronic illness.
- Medications can cost up to $200,000 year and parents question appropriate treatment options.
- School absences cause another layer of difficulty.